About two years ago, I decided to use my Newegg's Amex offer to get $10% off at Hyatt gift card. At the time, I didn't realize that these gift card doesn't work in Guam, which I had a reservation coming up. Well, at that time, I figured that since the funds doesn't expire, I'd find some other opportunity to use them. Well, that opportunity finally arrived after two years, or so I thought.
When preparing for my upcoming trip, I suddenly had a hunch that I'd better check the funds first. Unfortunately, I was totally shocked to find out that the funds has been depleted. My first reaction is to call the customer service number listed on the eGift card, 1-800-555-0233. The experience is actually not too bad, after typing in your gift card number, it was surprisingly easy and straight forward to talk to a representative. The only problem is that, she wasn't able to provide me much information except for the date of the transaction (Dec 12, 2016) so I can confirm that I wasn't staying at ANY Hyatt property on that day. She then ask me to call the customer service number, which is 1-888-524-9288. Yet again, the representative was really nice and all but she wasn't able to help me because I didn't purchase the gift card from Hyatt directly. My only recourse, at this point, is to contact Newegg and see if I can get any resolution out of them for a transaction completed two years ago. I'm not holding my breath here.
[update]: after spending close to an hour in the chat queue and a 15-min chat with Newegg, I was told that they are not able to refund or replace the gift card because 1. hacking is not something in Newegg's control and gift cards are non-refundable and non-replaceable
In the mean time, I did some searches and it appears to be quite a widespread problem for the last two years and Hyatt recommends checking your gift card balance every month. I guess, the moral of the story here is
1. Always check the T&C of the gift cards you're buying; I wouldn't be in this mess if I had checked.
2. Check the gift card balances frequently
3. Just like booking, buying gift cards direct can save you a lot of trouble
[update 2]
I'm not sure I like how Hyatt just wipes its hand clean and left me suffer all the consequences. Newegg was authorized to sell those gift card and when it got hacked, they just say they are not able to help me. I don't think I'll be staying at Hyatt anytime soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment